Want to Crack IAS in First Attempt? Read the most useful Important Tips and Tricks to Crack UPSC Exam in First Attempt.
What makes one successful and another failure in Mains? All the candidates are having books, all the candidates are dedicated to work and most of them attend coaching institutions, take guidance from seniors and friends but what makes one success and another failure. Students say they studied for 18 hours and still they couldn’t make Mains. Others say they studied only for 8-9 hours and could make Mains. Why these differences. The difference between successful candidates and the failure candidates is same as difference between ordinary and extra-ordinary persons.
Better Strategy Makes one Success in Mains
Going Through Syllabus
First go through General Studies syllabus thoroughly and try to be perfect with the syllabi. If you know syllabus, 20% of your work is over. It helps you what to read and what not to read. Don’t neglect the added UPSC syllabus. Always questions will be asked from the new syllabus. Try to think what type of questions may come from particular topic. What is the relevance of particular topic in today’s life? In the same way go through the added topics of optional paper and try to cover them first. Old candidates may know other parts of the syllabus and added syllabus have also to be perfect. New-comers must know whole syllabus before their studies.
Having Balanced Approach Towards Optional
Exclusive Skills for Presenting Answer
Don’t Repeat the Paragraphs.
Two Marker Questions
To make yourself different from others, prepare your own strategy in order to study these two marks questions. Go through previous years questions and try to write yourself for those questions. While reading any newspaper, magazine or book, note down the words and write on that topic.In exam hall, write up to the point. This can come only by practice. Questions will be from Indian polity, Economies, History, Culture, Science and Technology, Geographical Concepts, Personalities. While studying, make different note on different topics thus it helps to revise properly.
Once Study Whole Syllabus Completely
Syllabus of optional subjects are also vast, candidates often have many books to cover the topics but they cannot read all of them so here also being selective is very important. Try to read standard books and recollect the points what you have read and how it is useful in writing the answers. Selective study hopes you to answer any question asked on that topic.Most of the toppers follow strategy of being selective. It is not wise to waste time in reading which is not required for the exam. One should have proper approach towards study the optional subjects to get success at Mains.
Importance of Compulsory Papers
Particular Topics Won’t be Asked in the Exam
But whatever you have studied can be used in anyway while writing essay. Read all the topics of essay at least once, and then select which topic you feel comfortable. Then take last page of your answer booklet and note down all the points you know so that you will not forget the main points while you writing the essay. Then arrange the points in accordance with their importance and there should be continuation of paragraphs. . .
Always write common language, don’t use complicated words and don’t bring optional concepts into the essay.’ Essay paper also marks the assessment of your personality. Therefore be careful while choosing the topics and while writing the essay paper. Planning helps to be fruitful to achieve the goal.
What to Follow
- Read limited books. Don’t try to read more books. Read fewer books and gain more from them. Read only one or two newspapers and follow anyone book on current affairs. Reading more books make you what to remember or not.
- Be selective while reading a newspaper. From the beginning of your preparation build the habit of reading what is important from the exam point of view. Spend only 45 minutes to 60 minutes for newspaper daily.
- Always plan your studies. For a week and also for a day. This helps to complete the syllabus within a time.
- In the name of selective study don’t leave what to be studied. Don’t go only for popular topics study what may be asked in the Mains.
- Prepare your own notes. But don’t spend more time in preparing notes. Make point-wise notes which can be reversed very easily with less time.
- Don’t run from difficult topics. Get clarified from somebody else and simply don’t leave difficult topics. Don’t give importance to what you know. Give less time for what you know and more time for studying difficult topics.
- Make more and more practices for writing answers. Don’t be lazy. At least take the habit of writing points to be included in that answer.
- While writing answer in examination hall, don’t cross the word-limit. If you cross the word limit, you cannot manage to write all the answers.
- Statistics carries 40 marks in General Studies. Give importance to this section while preparation and also in the examination hall. In the examination hall, keep last 20 minutes for statistics and don’t take it first. Practice makes you to solve the problem within a time limit.
- Last point is very important. Don’t be hurry while reading the question paper. Read slowly word by word and you can understand what is asked. Otherwise, there is a chance of writing wrong answer. Therefore, follow questions’ properly.