India will host Indian Ocean Region (IOR) Defence Ministers’ Conclave on the sidelines of Aero India 2021. The broad theme of the conclave is ‘Enhanced Peace, Security and Cooperation in the Indian Ocean’.
- The conclave is an initiative to promote dialogue in an institutional, economic and cooperative environment that can foster the development of peace, stability and prosperity in the Indian Ocean region.
- It will also address Information-sharing towards increased maritime domain awareness, maritime surveillance and co-operation, Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR), Marine Pollution Response activities, Development of technologies and capabilities for harnessing marine resources.
- The conclave is being organised in the backdrop of growing Chinese military assertiveness in the IOR.
- The Indian Ocean, considered the backyard of the Indian Navy, is critical for India’s strategic interests.
- China has been making concerted efforts to increase its presence in the region.
- In sync with the national security doctrine, the Indian Navy has significantly increased its deployment of warships, submarines and other assets in the IOR. It is in an attempt to send across a message to China.