Why in News?
Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research (AMD) have conducted a preliminary surveys on surface and limited subsurface which have shown the presence of Lithium resources of 1,600 tonnes in the pegmatites of Marlagalla – Allapatna area, Mandya district, Karnataka.
- Soft, silvery-white metal
- Under standard conditions, it is the lightest metal and the lightest solid element.
- Highly reactive and flammable, and must be stored in mineral oil.
- It is an alkali metal and a rare metal.
- Highest specific heat capacity of any solid element.
- Its single balance electron allows it to be a good conductor of electricity.
- Flammable and can even explode when exposed to air and water.
- Used in ceramics, glass, telecommunication and aerospace industries.
- Used in Lithium ion batteries, lubricating grease, high energy additive to rocket propellants, optical modulators for mobile phones.